In the past decades, the CHC (Confucian heritage culture) learner’s phenomenon has spawned one of the most fruitful fields in educational research. Despite the impression that CHC learners are brought up in an environment not conducive to learning, their academic performances have been excelling their Western counterparts (Fan et al. in How Chinese learn mathematics: perspectives from insiders, 2004). Numerous explanations were offered to reveal the paradox (Morrison in Educ J, 2006), and there were challenges of whether there is “over-Confucianisation” in all these discussions (Chang in J Psychol Chin Soc, 2000; Wong and Wong in Asian Psychol, 2002). It has been suggested that the East and the West should come and discuss at the “middle zone” so that one can get the best from the two worlds. On the other hand, at the turn of the new millennium, discussions on mathematics curriculum reform proliferate in many places. One of the foci of the debate is the basic skills—higher-order thinking “dichotomy”. Viewing from the perspective of the process of mathematisation, teaching mathematics is more than striking a balance between the two, but to bridge basic skills to higher-order thinking competences. Such an attempt was explored in recent years and the ideas behind will be shared in this paper.
- RT @MatthewMaddux: Developing mathematical knowledge for teaching teachers: potentials of history of mathematics in teacher educator traini… 4 months ago
- RT @CERME11_2019: In preparation for the conference, we kindly ask you to send questions about ERME research, questions about ERME itself,… 4 months ago
- Developing mathematical knowledge for teaching teachers: potentials of history of mathematics in teacher educator t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- Looking forward to last day (for me) of the EML 2018 with @deborah_ball. What a wonderful opportunity to study, dis… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 months ago
- RT @A2SchoolsSuper: We ❤️ #TreeTown @A2schools #InspireA2 #A2gether Ann Arbor named best place to live in America - again https://t.co/yRrH… 1 year ago