The purpose of the project reported in this article was to evaluate how assessing teachers’ mathematical knowledge within a professional development course impacted from the teachers’ perspective their learning and their experience with the course. The professional development course consisted of a 2-week summer institute and the content focus was geometry. We had decided to assess the mathematical learning of the teachers during this professional development course for various accountability reasons, but were concerned about possible negative by-products of this decision on the teachers and their participation. Thus, we worked to design assessment in ways that we hoped would minimize negative impacts and maintain a supportive learning environment. In addition, we undertook this evaluation to examine the impacts of the assessment, which included homework, quizzes, various projects, and an examination for program evaluation. Seventeen grade 5–9 teachers enrolled in the course participated in the study by completing written reflections and by describing their experiences in interviews. We learned that while our original intent was “to do no harm,” the teachers reported that their learning was enhanced by the assessment. The article concludes by describing the various properties of the assessments that the teachers identified as contributing to their learning of the geometry content, many of which align with current recommendations for assessing and evaluating grade K-16 mathematics students.
- RT @SpringerEdu: Educational Studies in Mathematics 50th Year anniversary with Springer! springer.com/education+%26+… 1 month ago
- Ny oversikt over forskning om undervisningskunnskap i matematikk publisert i NOMAD ncm.gu.se/node/8812 2 months ago
- I like the new article in Ed.Stud.Math. on problem solving and theory building in math by Hyman Bass! link.springer.com/article/10.100… 2 months ago
- How nice! Actually, I thought it might be you when I heard your name, Raymond (@MathEdnet)! We should talk tomorrow :-) 5 months ago
- Enjoyed rehearsing rehearsals at #Novemberkonferansen with @ekazemi today! Choral counting has a lot to it! 8 months ago